Learning English in an Interactive Way

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

English for Specific Purposes with really low competence in English

Go down

English for Specific Purposes with really low competence in English  Empty English for Specific Purposes with really low competence in English

Post by carolgreen876 Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:21 am

Hello everybody. I'm really in terrible need. I'm an English teacher in Spain and I'm in charge of teaching English to a ESP group (English for Specific Purposes).

The topics to deal with, as well as vocabulary, grammar and, of course, the skills, go around health, medicine, hospitals, emergency, etc. It is a subject in a course called "Health Emergencies" addressed to 112 workers or ambulance drivers, among others.

My problem is that the competence on the English language of most of them is really low or non-existing. However, there are a few who can follow the lesson and their competence is pre-intermediate (let's say so). So the situation is that I have to teach them ESP but I cannot invest time teaching them basic grammar, basic reading, speaking or writing techniques. What can I do? I've been teaching secondary education students for 6 years, but it's my first time with ESP. Any tips? Advice? Suggestions? A guideline would be great! (I don't want to look desperate at all).

carolgreen876

Back to top Go down